My betta fish has fuzz on him PreviousNext
Give us a Home > Fish >
Message/Author
Next message Animalgrl15 (Animalgrl15) posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:13 pm
My betta fish has white fuzz on him. What should I do?
Next message Kathryngolightly (Kathryngolightly) posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:39 pm
1) Saprolegnia (fungus) infection

2) Columnaris infection (mouth fungus/cotton wool disease). Take sample for microscopic examination which would show typical long 'gliding' bacteria (Flexibacter sp).

Fish fungus appears as grey/white patches on the skin or gills that resemble tufts of cotton-wool. At a later stage they may become brown or green as they trap sediment or algae. If the fish is removed from the water, the fungus appears as a slimy matted mass. Saprolegnia normally establishes as small, focal infections that then spread rapidly over the body or gills. As it spreads, healthy tissue is destroyed. There is often little inflammation unless there is an underlying bacterial infection. Microscopic examination shows broad, non-septate (no dividing cell walls) hyphae of varying diameters.

Although most infections are fairly superficial, rarely penetrating beyond the superficial muscles, the danger comes from the speed at which Saprolegnia can spread and the amount of surface area that is often damaged. This in turns leads to serum and protein loss. There is sometimes a tendency to underestimate the potential danger of fungal infections and it is important to realise that even superficial damage of the skin or gills can prove fatal if not treated. The chances of recovery from saprolegniasis are directly related to the area of integument affected, which is why prompt diagnosis and treatment is vital.

Fish fungal infections are difficult to treat and mould cannot ever be eliminated from any fish keeping systems. Any treatment plan must take account of any predisposing factors and these should be resolved / or treated at the same time.

Topical treatments:

Use strong malachite green solution (100mg/ litre) to clean the lesion and apply a water-proof cream.

Long-term bath treatments:

Salt: 1–5g / litre indefinitely

Malachite green: 0.10mg/litre – three treatments at three-day intervals
Next message Dizzymoo (Dizzymoo) posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:08 pm
kathryn ...the fuzz animalgirl is on about is it also called white spot ? we had it on our fish once & that looked like cotton wool , unfortunatly it spread & the poor lil mohammed died ..aww bles
Next message Kathryngolightly (Kathryngolightly) posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:25 pm
white spot isnt a fuzz, it is literally a white spot or several, the size of a pinprick, not raised just like little white dots. its not fuzzy or like cotton wool, white spot is stress related, normally on fish suseptable to it like clown loaches, water changes not done right causes white spot, and rarely they die from it, plus the white spot treatment generally has about 99% success rate and fixes the fish within a few days.

cotton wool like/fuzz is almost always an infection or fungus. and are very seperate.
Next message Zoe (Zoe) posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:03 am
kathryn is right whitespot isnt fuzz,
cotton wool/fuzz is a fungal infection, and is completely different to white spot
Next message Dizzymoo (Dizzymoo) posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:14 pm
ah right that told me then eh ha ha oh well we must of had the fungus one then , coz it defo looked like cotton wool . just wondered ,good job i asked eh
Next message Kathryngolightly (Kathryngolightly) posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:51 pm
how long ago did they have it? if you still have fish that survived i would recommend getting some fungus treatment anyway

Common disease that effects all kinds tropical fish. Fungus mostly infects in poor water conditions in which there are unacceptable levels of ammonia or nitrites. Fin nippers will damage the fins of other fish making them more susceptible to fungal infections and external bacterial infections such as fin and tail rot.

Symptoms A white cottony fluff will appear on fish. Can be around body or in mouth. Fin rot appears as white on ends of fins.

Treatment: Relatively easy. Add appropriate medication (Available for all fungal infections). If fish are salt tolerant add salt. Raise the temp to 30 deg C or 80deg F.

The most common fungi to affect fish is Saprolegnia. Often it is first noticed as white or grey cotton wool-like tufts sticking out of the skin or fins of fish. It is sometimes tinged green with trapped algae. Fungus is nearly always a secondary problem, meaning it has occurred because of some other initial damage. The primary cause may be bacterial, parasitic, water quality or the fish may have physically damaged it's skin or fins in some way. It can be a serious problem because the fungus will spread and invade healthy tissue. Treatment with a proprietary anti-fungus compound will normally clear the problem, if applied early enough. but it is just as important to treat the underlying primary cause to prevent the fungus reappearing.
Next message Kathryngolightly (Kathryngolightly) posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:30 pm
I HAVE JUST DONE A DISEASE SHEET FOR MY FORUM. U WILL SEE THE PIC ON THERE OF FUNGUS, I SHALL TRY TO POST THE PIC ON HERE-LOL, U WILL NOTICE THE TOP DORSAL FIN IS WHERE THE FUNGUS IS. http://4leggedfriends.iforumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=233&mforum=4leggedfriends#233

i cant upload direct here but have put it in my photobucket:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/kathryngolightly/FUNGUS.jpg
Next message Animalgrl15 (Animalgrl15) posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:57 am
MY FISH DIED BOOHOO
Next message Kathryngolightly (Kathryngolightly) posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:41 am
Next message Alwayslovinganimals (Alwayslovinganimals) posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:35 am
hmm. its definitely a sign of ich. a fungal disease. your poor betta could die if you dont treat it soon:[
Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action: